Friday, July 15, 2011

Music in the Classroom


It is no surprise that my Kinder kiddos come into Kindergarten never having heard The Sound of Music before, but that doesn't stop me from teaching them this song! Towards the end of the year last year I started a new way of getting their attention through singing. I was tired of using the clapping and different chants we do so I decided to teach them the "Do Re Mi" song. We started slowly, learning a little bit at a time. So I would sing "Doe" and when they heard that, they immediately had to sing the next part "A deer, a female deer". Then I'd sing "Ray" and they had to sing "a drop of golden sun"... and so on. By the time "me" rolled around, I had everyone's attention. Sometimes I'd stop there, sometimes I'd go further (depending on time). If we were transitioning and cleaning up, we might do the whole song. It was a fun attention grabber and all I had to do was sing one note to get it all started! The great thing about it was that I could stop it wherever I wanted to (sometimes just after "doe).

How do you use songs in your classroom? Link up with Miss Kindergarten below!


13 comments:

Alicia Lochridge said...

I love that idea!! Sound of Music is a dear movie to me. Thanks for the idea.

First Grade Factory

Kristin said...

I'm totally stealing this!!!!! I LOVE it! So creative! Thank you! I just found you through this linky party and I just started following you! :)
Kristin
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Kristin said...

PS I think your blog name and tagline are adorable!!!
Kristin
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Miss Kindergarten said...

What a wonderful idea!! And you're teaching them a classic song as you go! Thanks so much for linking up :)

Hadar
Miss Kindergarten

p.s. Kristin...I definitely commented about her blog name and tagline last time! haha! too funny!

Mrs. Bee said...

LOVE this idea!! so cute!!!

Mrs. Bee
Bee's KinderGarden

Judy Lau said...

Thanks! Glad y'all (can you tell im from texas?) can use it! :)

Pamela said...

Thanks for the idea! Love it!

mrszimm said...

What a fantastic idea! I adore this movie and am always heartbroken to see when my Kinders have no idea what it is. :(

Sneaker Teacher said...

How cute! I am going on the Sound of Music Tour in Austria next week! I can't to sing along the whole time!

KT
www.sneakerteacher.blogspot.com

beachliesl said...

Love this!!! I am going to use this! :) My parents loved the Sound of Music, which is why they named me...

Liesl :)

http://wildworldofkindergarten.blogspot.com/

weety said...

This is hands down my favorite movie of all times! I love this idea! The only problem is that the musician in me wouldn't be able to stop at just Do, re, mi . . . I'd have to break out in full song. . .LOL!

Linda McCardle said...

I love this idea, I am going to itunes right now to download it for the beginning of the year!
Linda
ateacherstouch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! The Sound of Music was the first movie I ever saw in a theater waaaaayyyyy back when. I had the album and would play it all the time. Now I have the CD and I have played it in the classroom. However, using Do, Re, Mi as an attention getter if fabulous!

Barb

Post a Comment